Monday, August 16, 2010

BE AFRAID OF SOUTH AFRICA


In my first blog entry, I wrote about all of the stories I had been seeing about how scary, unsafe, unprepared South Africa was/is for tourists coming to see the World Cup. Concluding my trip here in SA, I find myself overlooking an amazing beach in Durban after a month of friendly faces, amazing experiences, and breathtaking scenery.

I know i have a day left here so I don’t want to jinx myself, but I have had no bad experiences with Great Whites(although I had some good ones), no issues of theft, and even an eye-opening visit to a township outside of Knysna.

All this time, I would have been completely limited if I would have allowed myself to be controlled by what I read. Number One, if we had no car--and every article I read touched on the threat of carjacking--we would have NEVER seen the garden route and all its beautiful coastline.

It’s fine if you don’t want to believe what your reading right now, I’m ok with that, as long as you aren’t believing half of the other stuff you read that may prevent you from an experience of a lifetime. South Africa was GREAT and I will miss the people, the hikes, the elephants, the stadiums, the coastlines, the baboons, the hostels, the b&bs, the lakes, and the great roads. Thanks for doing a great job with the World Cup SA, hope to see you soon.

----


Follow-up, I made it back home safe and sound with no issues in the last few days. I do miss the country, the cup, and the adventure of travel--Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment